Recognition and Selection Program
Becoming an Official is just part of the NIHA-Canada Officials Program. The NIHA-Canada has created a Recognition and Selection Program for its Officials across the country. This Program is designed to encourage, recognize, develop and reward Officials in the different leagues.
The Recognition Program will award points to Officials each year based on criteria established by the National Officials Committee headed by the National Referee-in-Chief, Dan Duffy. Points are awarded for a number of different reasons:
- Certified Active Official (min. 10 games/year)
- Officiating at Regional Qualifier
- Officiating at National Tournament
- Participation in Selection Camp(s)
- Attendance at Leadership seminar
- Active Clinic Instructor
- Officiating at Summer Games competition
- Officiating at International competition other than Worlds
- League Administration (Referee-in-Chief)
- Supervisions (min. 10 supervisions/year)
- League Assignor
- Officiating at World Championship
These points will accumulate each year and will be the basis for Selection to different events including the Regional Tournaments, National Events and International Championships (IIHF World Championships).
In addition to the Points System, review by the Official’s Supervisors will also be used to determine eligibility and ability for these elite events.
The NIHA-Canada is continually working on grassroots development of our programs and allowing all officials to improve their skills. Through this development the Officials are able to push themselves to be the best